Woodbury County Law Enforcement Center
407 7th St.
Sioux City, IA 51101
PO Box 3715
Sioux City, IA 51102
Administrative Office Phone
Toll Free: 1-800-352-6352
Monday - Friday
8:00am - 4:30pm
8:00am - 4:15pm
|Civil Service Commission|
The Woodbury County Civil Service Commission is established pursuant to CHAPTER 341a Code of Iowa CIVIL SERVICE FOR DEPUTY COUNTY SHERIFFS.
Dennis Simmons, Chairman
Lisa Wilson, Personnel Director
The classified civil service positions covered by this chapter include persons actually serving as deputy sheriffs who are salaried pursuant to section 331.904, subsection 2, but do not include a chief deputy sheriff, two second deputy sheriffs in counties with a population of more than one hundred thousand, and four second deputy sheriffs in counties with a population of more than two hundred thousand. See Iowa Code Chapter 341a.7 for a complete description of covered employees.
1. Be a U. S. Citizen and a resident of Iowa or intend to become a resident upon being employed;
2. Be 18 years of age at the time of appointment;
3. Hold a valid Iowa driver's license;
4. Not be addicted to drugs or alcohol [modified for Chapter 400 civil service positions by §400.17 of the Code of Iowa];
5. Be of good moral character as determined by a thorough background investigation including a fingerprint search conducted of local, state and national fingerprint files and have not been convicted of a felony or a crime involving moral turpitude;
6. Successfully pass physical fitness tests
7. Not be opposed to use of force to fulfill duties;
8. Be a high school graduate or hold a GED certificate;
9. Have uncorrected vision of not less than 20/100 in both eyes, corrected to 20/20, and color vision consistent with the Occupational demands of law enforcement;
10. Have normal hearing in each ear (hearing aids are acceptable if a candidate can demonstrate sufficient hearing proficiency to perform all necessary duties of a law enforcement officer)
11. Be examined by a physician and meet the physical requirements necessary to fulfill the responsibilities of a law enforcement officer.
12. Undergo psychological testing.
13. Undergo cognitive (Basic Skills) testing.
CIVIL SERVICE EXAMINATIONS
All appointments to and promotions to classified civil service positions in the office of the county sheriff shall be made solely on merit, efficiency, and fitness, which shall be ascertained by open competitive examinations and impartial investigations. Current Certified list expiration dates are as follows:
New Hire Deputies - expires December 31, 2008. Please contact the personnel director for further information
1st Line Promotional - expires March 28, 2009. Please contact the personnel director for further information.
2nd Line Promotional – expires June 12, 2009. Please contact the personnel director for further information.